Sankofa Impact makes an effort to link to Black-owned companies throughout our resource list in the hopes that you will support them. This resource list is ordered by topic.
Resources by Topic
- CDC. What Are Social Determinants of Health? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2021.
- Emerald Staff. King County Officially Declares Racism a Public Health Crisis. South Seattle Emerald, June 2020.
- De Luna, Ruby. How Seattle’s Gang of Four Changed the Activism Playbook. KUOW Archive, November 2017.
- Swart, Cornelius. Priced Out. Collective Eye Films, 2016.
- Children of the Setting Sun. Ferndale Schools. Youtube, 2020.
- Kendi, Ibram X. How To Be An Antiracist. One Word, 2019.
- Oluo, Ijeoma. So You Want To Talk About Race. Seal Press, 2018.
- Sue, Derald Wing. Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence. Wiley, 2016.
- Smithsonian. Talking About Race: Being Antiracist. National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC).
- Holmes, Anna, et.al. Our National Conversations About Conversations About Race. Panoply, 2015.
- Alexander, Michelle, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.The New Press, 2010.
- Stevenson, Bryan. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. One World, 2015.
- Wright, Richard. The Ethics of Living Jim Crow. 1937.
- Bristol, Stefon. See You Yesterday. 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks, 2019.
- Coogler, Ryan. Fruitvale Station. Lions Gate, 2018.
- Duvernay, Ava. 13th. Kandoo Films, 2016.
- Kunhardt, Peter. True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality. Warner, 2019
- DuVernay, Ava. When They See Us. Season 1, “All Episodes.” Aired 2019 on Netflix.
- Stevenson, Bryan. We Need to Talk About an Injustice. TED Talk, 2012.
- Parker, Nate. The Birth of a Nation. Bron Studios, 2016.
- Gray, Susan and Cram, Bestor. Birth of a Movement. Northern Light Productions, 2017.
- Nelson, Stanley. The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution. Firelight Media, 2016.
- Olsen, Göran. The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975. MPI Home Video, 2011.
- McGhee, Heather. The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together. One World, 2022.
- Smith, Clint. How The World Is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America. Little Brown and Company, 2021
- Kottas, Yuliya Parshina, et.al. What the Tulsa Race Massacre Destroyed. New York Times, May 2021.
- Kunhardt, Peter. King in the Wilderness. Kunhardt Films, 2018.
- McGhee, Heather. Racism Has a Cost for Everyone. TED Talk, 2019.
- Vox Explained. Racial Wealth Gap. Netflix, 2020.
- Jones, Nikole Hannah. 1619. Episode 2, “The Economy That Slavery Built.” New York Times, 2019.
- Anderson, Carol. White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide. Bloomsbury USA, 2016.
- DiAngelo, Robin. White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism. Beacon Press, 2018.
- McIntosh, Peggy. White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack. Peace and Freedom, 1989.
- DiAngelo, Dr. Robin. Dr. Robin DiAngelo Discusses ‘White Fragility’.Youtube, 2018.
- McIntosh, Peggy. How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion. TEDxTimberland Schools, 2012.
- Biewen, John. Seeing White. Scene on Radio, 2017.
- Barkley Brown, Elsa. Negotiating and Transforming the Public Sphere: African American Political Life in the Transition from Slavery to Freedom. University of Chicago, 1994.
- Newkirk II, Vann R. How Shelby County v. Holder Broke America. The Atlantic, July 2018.
- Collins, Patrician Hill. Black Feminist Thought. Routledge, 2008.
- Lorde, Audre. Sister Outsider. Crossing Press, 2007.
- Truth, Sojourner. Ain’t I a Woman? Penguin Books, 2021.
- Lafayette College. Kimberlé Crenshaw Discusses Intersectional Feminism. Youtube, 2015.
- National LGBTQ Task Force. Black Feminism and the Movement for Black Lives: Barbara Smith. Reina Gosset, Charlene Carruthers. Youtube, 2016.
- Halberstam, David. The Children. Ballantine Books, 1999.
- LaFayette, Bernard. In Peace And Freedom: My Journey in Selma. University Press of Kentucky, 2016.
- McKinstry, Carolyn. While The World Watched: A Birmingham Bombing Survivor Comes of Age During the Civil Rights Movement. Tyndale House Publishers, 2013.
- Zelner, Bob. The Wrong Side of Murder Creek: A White Southerner in the Freedom Movement. NewSouth Books, 2019.
- Duvernay, Ava. Selma. Harpo Films, 2014.
- Nelson, Stanley. Freedom Riders. Firelight Media, 2010
- Nelson, Stanley. Freedom Summer. Firelight Media, 2014.
- Hudson, Robert. Mighty Times: The Children’s March. Southern Poverty Law Center, 2004.
- Grace, Andrew Beck, et.al. White Lies. NPR, 2019.
- King Jr., Dr. Martin Luther. Address at the Conclusion of the Selma To Montgomery March 1965. Montgomery, AL, 1965.
- King Jr., Dr. Martin Luther. Letter From Birmingham Jail. Birmingham, AL, 1963.
- Gates Jr., Henry Louis. The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross. Season 1, “All Episodes.” Aired 2013 on PBS.
- Gates Jr., Henry Louis. Black America Since MLK: Still I Rise. Season 1, “All Episodes.” Aired 2016 on PBS.
- Equal Justice Initiative. Slavery to Mass Incarceration. YouTube, 2015.
- Master Class: Black History, Freedom, and Love.
- Kendi, Ibram X. Antiracist Baby. Kokila, 2020.
- Lane, Sharayah. ABC’s of Grateful. Independently Published, 2022.
- Martin, Michel. How White Parents Can Talk To Their Kids About Race. NPR, June 2020.
- Smith-Kang, Sonia. 31 Children’s Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism, and Resistance. Culturas, 2019.
- Brandt, Cindy Wong. Parenting Forward: Five Pandemic Parenting Lessons with Cindy Wong Brandt. Parenting Forward, 2020.
- do Nascimento, Abdias. Brazil, Mixture or Massacre? Essays in the Genocide of a Black People. Majority Pr, 1989.
- Dunbar-Ortiz, Roxanne. An Indigenous Poeples’ History of the United States. Beacon Press, 2015.
- Ortiz, Paul. An African-American and Latinx History of the United States. Beacon Press, 2018.
- McQueen, Steve. Small Axe. Season 1, “All Episodes.” Aired 2020 on Amazon Prime.
- Bay, Maya. Traveling Black: A Story of Race and Resistance. Belknap Press, 2021.
- Gidigbi, Stephanie. How Planes, Trains and Automobiles Worsened America’s Racial Divide. Politico, June 2020.
- Sayej, Nadja. ‘Forgotten by Society’- How Chinese Migrants Built the Transcontinental Railroad. The Guardian, July 2019.
- Burns Ric. Driving While Black: Race, Space and Mobility in America. PBS, 2021.
- Lewis, Sukey. On Our Watch. Episode “Litigation Reveals New Details in Police Shooting of Oscar Grant.” NPR, 2021.
- Angelou, Maya. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. New York: Random House, 1969.
- Arnold, Jenna. Raising Our Hands. BenBella Books, 2020.
- Baldwin, James. The Fire Next Time. Vintage, 1992.
- Boggs, Grace Lee. The Next American Revolution: Activism For the 21st Century. University of California Press, 2012.
- Cooper, Dr.Brittney. Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower. Picador USA, 2019.
- Hurston, Zora Neale. Their Eyes Were Watching God. J.B.Lippincott, 1937.
- Katznelson, Ira. When Affirmative Action Was White. W.W. Norton & Company, 2006.
- Laymon, Kiese. Heavy: An American Memoir. Scribner Publishing Company, 2019.
- Mock, Janet. Redefining Realness. Atria Books, 2014.
- Moraga. Cherríe. This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color. Persephone Press, 1981.
- Morrison, Toni. The Bluest Eye. Vintage, 2007.
- Ritchie, Andrea J. Invisible No More: Police Violence Against Black Women and Women of Color. Beacon Press, 2017.
- Saad, Layla F. Me and White Supremacy. Source Books, 2020.
- Wilkerson, Isabel. The Warmth of Other Suns. Vintage, 2011.
- Coaston, Jane. The Intersectionality Wars. Vox, 2019.
- Kendi, Ibram X. Who Gets to Be Afraid in America? The Atlantic, May 2020.
- Martin, Courtney. Where Do I Donate? Why is the Uprising Violent? Should I Go Protest? The Bold Italic, June 2020.
- Sewer, Adam. America’s Racial Contract Is Killing Us. The Atlantic, May 2020.
- Vargas, Jose Antonio. My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant. The New York Times Magazine, June 2011.